Saturday, October 23, 2010

My Cunning Plan (How to Deal with Miserable People Part 3)

Earlier I was puzzling, thinking, and stressing about some miserable people at work. My good friends sent me some suggestions that are very helpful and uplifting, that thanks to them, I regain my crazy bonkers self back. Now I have a cunning plan!

Let me start with my new hobby – be patient, reader, I will get to my cunning plan. About a month ago, one Saturday in late September, I started knitting. Yes, knitting, as in the activity of an old woman in a rocking chair with her cat chasing her ball of wool around.

This started when I did not get the job I wanted. I applied for the position of Press Office Assistant at the City Council, got the interview, but by the end of the week got the news that my application was not successful. It felt like being dumped by a boyfriend – with cool and don’t care stage, then denial, then crying out loud. I needed a bounced back plan.

Saturday morning, my husband took me for a walk around the canal near where we live. As walk around feeding the ducks, we saw a boat with signs saying, “We sell wool”. I always liked looking at colourful wools and I never been inside a canal boat. So we walked in. The boat was full of jumpers, tea pot holders, scarf and wool for sale. A chat with the nice lady and her husband later, I said, “Oh…how lovely! I always wanted to learn to knit.” Then there it goes, my new hobby was born.

Now, I knit. I am addicted to knitting as it relaxed me. I do not care about the job I did not get, because I knit. Miserable people at work upset me, so I got home and I knit. My husband wants to watch motoring programme on TV that I am not very interested in, I knit. I love it!

With my new hobby, I now have a cunning plan to defend myself against the miserable dementors at work. I decided that I am going to knit some cute finger puppets and take them to work. The plan is, whenever someone said something miserable or whine and whinge, my finger puppet will appear from my pocket and save the day!

And oh, I forgot to mention earlier about the grumpy postman who came to our office every morning. He always gave us too many letters – half of them are actually for the office next door, but he is just too lazy to walk and knock on the other door. When I said, “Excuse me, these two letters are not for us, it’s for them next door.” His grumpy face got grumpier and he always said something rude to me like, “It is on the same floor, isn’t it?! Why should there be too many different offices on the same floor?!” (Jeeezz… I did not design the offices! Do not take it on me, lazy a**e!)

When my finger puppets are done, Mr Grumpy Postman will be the first to meet them. I think one of them will say, “What’s with the grumpy face? When the wind changes, your face will stay like that forever. You don’t want that, do you?”

As with Mr Smelly cheese, I think my finger puppet will say something to him accordingly.

It’s good having a new hobby that is happy and cheerful!

No comments: