Friday, November 5, 2010

Mac in Libraries




These last couple of days, I have been visiting libraries. A library is a place full of books where human come around to read and they can borrow books. I like it, it was quiet and everyone there was all in their good behaviour.

First I visited Manchester’s John Ryland Library. It is an amazing old building, joined with a newer more modern part where there is a cafĂ© and little shop. The library was having an exhibition about the life of writer Elizabeth Gaskell. Too bad we were not allowed to take pictures in the exhibition part.

We did have fun though! I went to the ladies room. It was a very old fashion ladies or “powder room”, with cute coat hangers and a chain to pull when you need to flush the toilet. Adeline took some pictures of me there!

Then we went to the reading room. Wow….! It is impressive. Not that I am an expert in architectures or libraries, but Adeline says this building it very special. It was renovated for months and months – in fact, it took three years from 2004 to 2007!

This library looks like a church. Well, apparently it was intended by the first owner Mrs Ryland to hold collection of theological books. I asked Adeline what theological means. She said theology is the study about God and religions. She said it is quite a complicated study and that she learned that for a few semesters in university. I am happy with the simple explanation that theological means anything to do with religion and the Old Man in heaven stuff.

The next day, Adeline took me to Manchester’s new City Library. It was only across the street from the old John Ryland library, very near Adeline’s office. I like it there! The sofas and chairs are colourful, and there are many busy people with their laptops and books. Adeline said they might be doing some studies or researches.

In this new City Library, we looked at some interesting knitting books. I want Adeline to knit more friends for me!

1 comment:

wordbeauty said...

hey, when is Apple going to join you, Mac? ... is he (she?) left alone at home while you guys make a tour of those gorgeous libraries? ... oh, i understand ... Adeline cannot take both of you with her ... you two might make too much noise playing or fighting ... hahaha ...