Friday, February 15, 2008

A Conversation About God

Religious freedom and freedom of expression have been the hot topic in every single media that I read or tuned to these last few weeks. Should the [Western] media self-censor themselves against publishing caricatures that might insult others? Are we entitled to beat or even kill those who make fun of our belief?

Whatever grown up people – religious or not – think about these issues, for my son Jack (9) and his two British friends Sam (12) and Jessica (10), the issue is not that.


A few nights a go I went swimming with Jack, my neighbour Rachel and her two children Sam and Jessica. As we walked home from the local swimming pool, a regular childhood chat amongst the kids suddenly became a heated discussion about God.

They were chatting and imagining about planets and aliens, talking in strange-made-up language of a made-belief planet. Then suddenly Rachel and I heard the word "God". We looked at each other, smiled and kept our ears open but pretended not to listen.

Rachel, a single mother like me, whispered, "You see, I never raised them religiously. We went to church once or twice when they were very small, but that was it. Sam now said he doesn't believe in God. Jessica doesn't want to be Christian because she thinks God is a woman".

At some point of their discussion, Jack grabbed my hand almost crying and said, "Mom, please tell Sam that God does exist!". "Well, here it is", I thought. My three years of philosophy study finally felt useful.

Before I had a chance to open my mouth, Sam came and walked between me and Rachel. He said, "Science can prove anything. There is no such thing as God. Religions are lying about the first creation and everything".

I saw Jack's face is turning red. Back in Jakarta, he went to a Catholic school, and even though we don't go to church anymore, he still automatically performs the sign of the cross if he prays before going to bed. He is also used to see our Moslem friends in Aceh pray five times a day and the prayer call, adzan, was always some kind of music to our ears when we were in Indonesia.

Looking at my son's face, Rachel snapped at her son, "Sam, you may believe whatever you like, but don't you force others to share your opinion!".

It was my turn to say a word. I told both Sam and Jack, "Nobody has any proof of whether God exists or not. So some of us belief that God is there, looking after us and that belief would make people want to be better then themselves. Some of us thinks God is just an image we created, and what matters is to be a better person no matter anyone is looking or not. I don't say that any of these opinions are right or wrong. It is just a choice that people are free to choose, as long as it makes you a better person".

Rachel seemed relieved. She nodded and said, "See Sam, you are free to choose but you don't force others to be the same. Whatever makes you comfortable and whatever makes others comfortable".

As if our parental speeches weren't enough, Jessica stepped in and took her mother's hand. She said, "Mum, I changed my mind. I want to be a Christian. I want to be baptised".

Rachel and I tried hard to hide our laughs. I saw her took a deep breath before saying, "Yesterday you said you didn't want to be a Christian because the religion is run by men".

"Yes mum, but I want to be a Christian". No explanation. The 10-year-old just wanted to be baptised.

"If you really want to be a Christian, you'll have to research the religion yourself, study its teaching then decide. You can use my computer for that. If you are really serious, I'll take you to a church and you can ask there yourself", said Rachel.

"But some kids were baptised when they were babies. Jack did. They did not have to study first", protested Jessica.

"Well you are not a baby anymore, young girl. So you should really find out before making your choice", Rachel said her final word as we arrived on the gate of our building.

We said good night and parted. Rachel, Sam and Jessica went to the second floor; Jack and I went home to our flat in the ground floor.

Back in my kitchen as I prepared dinner, the radio broadcasted news about more riots in Afghanistan and Gaza concerning the Danish cartoon – at least five people killed in the protest in Kabul. I chopped the onion slowly and thought.


Jack would never have that kind of conversation if we were in Indonesia. A question about God's existence would certainly result in me being summoned to his school principal's office – he went to a Catholic school for a few years in Jakarta. Just like those innocent Danish expats should leave Indonesia because of a cartoon published in their country a few months a go.

On the other hand, if only people in Afghan, Gaza, and Indonesia could have a discussion like Sam, Jessica and Jack without throwing stones and bombs. Maybe Mohammad, Jesus, Siddhartha and all the 'holy men' are smiling over the chaos people caused on Earth. After all, they were once only human.

* * *
(originally posted on August 2006 in Chevening website http://www.chevening.com/home/index.html)

Note: My son Jack is now 11 and has since changed his mind about religion and God (or gods). He is now agnostic about the whole supernatural thing and has been obsessed about quantum physics for about a year. His blogs will be published soon and I shall post the link in this blog.

No comments: